Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Second from right, Helen Padway is a former president of Congregation Sinai, published poet, and member of "The Sparks", a Wisconsin based poetry performance ensemble. Her poetry has, of late, graced the pages of the Sinai News.






I saw God at the Public Library Coffee shop

where they proselytize library rejects, donated books, and coffee. The books are second hand,

in good shape and easy to buy.. There was a stack of books near the cup, right at God's elbow.

I was shocked. Wasn't God all knowing all seeing, immutable, aware of all, controlling all and infinite? Why buy second-hand books?

I tried politely to scan the titles without stretching my neck too far or spilling my coffee

but the figure was so luminous that all the letters were obscured in a rainbow haze. God looked up and smiled, I smiled back but still had no answer.

Some good reading here but
I am puzzled by your popular culture, though I like the fair trade coffee.

She filled her backpack with the books and left.

God is right the coffee is good.



- Helen Padway




No comments: